Fall Pet Safety

Fall Pet Safety Tips

Fall often comes as a pleasant relief from the summer heat and it can be easy to get lost in the beautiful colors and crisp air of the season. Yet, there are still some hazards to be wary of! Keep your pet healthy with these tips, so they can enjoy the season as much as you!

Beware of Rodenticides

Sure, no one wants rats or mice scurrying around their bedroom floor; but before you put down rat poisons or other toxins, think of your pet. If these harm rodents when ingested, they’ll certainly harm your pet—in fact, they can be lethal! Look for a safer alternative! Additionally, be aware that your neighbors might place rat poison outside if they have a problem, so check around to make sure all of these are out of your pet’s reach. If you suspect your pet has ingested rat poison, don’t hesitate—call us immediately at (918)-665-0508.

Pests Don’t Quit

Pests are a year-round nuisance, but more than that, they can cause allergic reaction, severe irritation, and disease. That’s why pest prevention is essential throughout the year, even during the cooler weather. Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes can be active at temperatures as low as 40 degrees, so keep up the pest prevention!

Staying Clear of Wild Mushrooms

While mushrooms may be tasty in our stir-fry and casseroles, many wild mushrooms are poisonous to both us and your pets. With the wetter weather, mushrooms are popping up in your lawn, under shrubs, and at the bases of trees. Keep your away from them all—while some are not poisonous, it is very difficult to tell the difference between one that is safe and one that is not, even for the experts! A poisonous mushroom can cause major gastrointestinal distress and can even lead to liver failure, seizures, and death. If you suspect your pet ate a poisonous mushroom, call us immediately at (918) 665-0508.

Avoiding Antifreeze

Antifreeze is a miracle in colder weather, but it is a major hazard for your pet. Keep containers tightly sealed and make sure there’s nothing dripping from the lid. Clean up any spills immediately, too! This is a toxic substance that is highly dangerous, and potentially fatal for pets!