Pet Poison Prevention

Pet Poison Prevention in Tulsa

There are all kinds of dangerous toxins that could spell trouble for your pet, including:

  • Antifreeze
  • Rodenticides
  • Home and furniture cleaners
  • Some essential oils
  • All kinds of human medications, such as Advil, Aleve, Tylenol, antidepressants, and other psychotropic drugs
  • Plants including Lilies (virtually any type of Lily is toxic for cats and dogs), Azaleas, Amaryllis, Oleander, Black Walnut, Daffodils, Poison Ivy, etc.
  • Xylitol, a sugar substitute used in gum candy, and other sweets

Why Rodenticides are so Dangerous

Rat poison is one of the deadliest toxins for pets, as it can be left sitting in garages our around the parameter of the house and easily be picked up by a curious animal. Rat poison toxicities are also the most common cases handled by the Pet Poison Helpline. Ingesting just a small amount can be fatal for a large dog.

Long-acting anticoagulants (LAACs) are the most common rodenticides available. They prevent blood from clotting, thus causing internal bleeding. Signs of poisoning include:

  • Lethargy
  • Coughing
  • Trouble breathing
  • Pale gums
  • Weakness

Some rodenticides contain bromethalin, which causes the brain to swell. Signs your pet has ingested this substance include:

  • Ataxia (lack of coordination)
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Paralysis

Get Help Immediately

If your pet ingested or potentially ingested rat poison, don’t wait-give us a call or bring your pet in to see us immediately! For more information about rat poison and other toxins, you can visit the Pet Poison Helpline website or call them at (855) 764-7661.