Thanksgiving Pet Safety
Thanksgiving Pet Safety Reminders
Food and family—these are the hallmarks of Thanksgiving. As you and your loved ones gather around the table to give thanks and partake in a hearty, home-cooked meal, don’t forget to think about your pet’s safety needs on this day. As appetizing as most (if not all) people foods are for pets, there are quite a few that can be dangerous for their health. More important, some of your family members may not be aware of these dangers and could unknowingly give your pet a handout that could make them very sick! In addition to being informed about possible hazards during the holidays, you also need to inform your family members.
So which foods are liable to result in an emergency if your pet ingests them?
- Turkey bones – these can cause lots of problems for pets, including damage to the mouth and esophagus, choking, intestinal injury, and bowel obstruction
- Grapes, raisins, and currants
- Any dish containing large quantities of onions, garlic, leeks, and/or chives
- Chocolate, powdered cocoa, fudge
- Baked goods and candies that contain xylitol, a sweetener that is highly toxic to animals
- Coffee, wine, beer, liquor, tea, or any other beverage containing caffeine or alcohol
- Macadamia nuts, cashews, walnuts, almonds, and pecans
While it is unlikely that your pet will indulge in any of these treats in large quantities, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
If you want to share a little bit of your Thanksgiving feast with your pet, these foods are acceptable:
- Plain boneless turkey meat, no gravy
- Plain sweet potatoes
- Green beans
- Plain pumpkin (no pie filling)
Food safety is important, but we also want to remind you to:
- Avoid leaving lit candles where your pet could accidentally knock them over
- Keep all plates and silverware (or plasticware) set out of your pet’s reach
- Move the garbage can/bag where your pet can’t get into it
- Keep your pet occupied with their own food and treats
- Contact us immediately if your pet shows any signs of illness
Our team is available 24/7 to offer help whenever your pet needs it. Please get in touch any time you have questions or concerns about things that might be hazardous to their health.